Energetic, bilingual producer of compelling written, and multimedia communications content for the online environment, and for social media. Efficiently produces precise, yet easy-to-read content that appeals to both general, and targeted audiences. Three years of experience. Specializes in communicating complex, and technical stories about science, and technology.
- Persistent: Fearlessly engages projects to completion.
- Creative: Pursues effective, tactical, and innovative strategies for program delivery.
- Efficient: Manages multiple initiatives capably.
- Critical: Articulates critical concerns with tact, and diplomacy.
- Calm, collaborative, and focused under pressure.
- Speaks, reads, and writes fluently in English, French, and Polish.
- Sophisticated web content editor.
- Received the Canadian government’s Enhanced Security Clearance.
- Social media native who can engage meaningfully with the online community through a variety of platforms like Facebook, Twitter, WordPress, LinkedIn, and more.
- Strong interpersonal, and interview skills.
- Meets deadlines in a fast-paced environment.
- Graphic designer.
- Proficient audio editor.
- Efficiently produces video content.
- Bilingual certificate.
- Combined Honours Bachelor of Journalism, and History (2012)
- Minor in Philosophy (2012)
Editor, researcher, writer
Communications for Parliaments: A Practical Guide for Emerging Democracies, World Bank and the University of Ottawa September 2012-November 2012
- Contributed research, and writings about emerging technologies, and social media.
- Summarized real-world cases, and analyzed data sets, such that they could be included in the book as meaningful, and illustrative examples.
- Edited hundreds of pages for accuracy, and ease-of-reading.
- Wrote exercises, discussion questions, and case studies.
Writer, social media producer, mentor
CAPPIES, Ottawa Citizen 2006-present
- Contributed to the program on a per-need basis.
- Helped implement the CAPPIES Gala Twitter feeds.
- Collaborated with high school students to develop their critical-writing skills so they could communicate their critical opinions with precision, tact, and diplomacy.
- Wrote theatre production synopses for the Ottawa Citizen website.
- Moderated high school student critic discussions.
- Volunteered my time at various events.
Competencies: Microsoft Word, Twitter, Canada.com’s content management system.
Writer, interviewer, editor, website manager, photographer, photo editor, graphic designer
I-CUREUS Spring 2012
- Wrote for the Carleton University communication department about undergraduate student research.
- Published 20 articles.
- Conducted in-depth interviews with students about their undergraduate research in the sciences, the social sciences, and engineering.
- Consulted academic research articles in the above domains.
- Communicated complex, and technical information clearly, and effectively.
- Generated photos, and graphic content.
- Co-designed the website.
- Maintained long-term relationships with students to ensure accuracy in writing.
- Optimized written and multimedia content for the web.
- Completed this project while self-directing my time.
Competencies: Microsoft Word, WordPress, Adobe Photoshop, IrfanView.
Canadian Medical Association Journal March 2012
- Wrote feature-length stories, as well as shorter pieces, for an audience of medical professionals. Link 1, Link 2, Link 3.
- Independently developed story ideas.
- Researched Canada’s, and the US’s systems for collecting, and analyzing consumer reports of pharmaceutical side-effects.
- Conducted interviews with contacts in the medical profession, business people, and pharmaceutical consumers.
- Communicated a novel, nuanced understanding of a complex topic, while meeting the high standards expected by an audience of medical professionals.
Competencies: Microsoft Word, Microsoft Outlook.
Social media journalist, online media publisher, multimedia producer
Carleton University School of Journalism and Communication 2009-2012
- Earned a journalism diploma from one of the most rigorous programs in Canada.
- Independently developed and pursued original news-story ideas.
- Researched background material effectively.
- Maintained long-term relationships with contacts.
- Developed fast-paced, tactical, and in-depth interview skills.
- Demonstrated, hands-on experience writing press releases, news stories, and producing multimedia content.
- Published dozens of stories, many for the community.
- Analyzed media from multiple perspectives, particularly the ongoing transition of traditional media to the online environment.
- Demonstrated good news judgement, wielded a plethora of traditional content and multimedia production skills, and acquired a sophisticated knowledge of Web 2.0 and the online community.
Competencies: Adobe InDesign, Gmail, Prezi, Facebook, Tumblr, Reddit, HTML5, Audacity, Steinberg WaveLab, iMovie.
Writer, editor, photographer, graphic designer
Catalyst Magazine, Carleton University 2011-2012
- Independently researched and developed story ideas.
- Researched and reviewed academic research articles.
- Independently pursued contacts and conducted interviews.
- Utilized the online platform to produce precise, multimedia-rich science journalism.
- Wrote and edited two feature stories.
- Communicated complex, technical, and scientific information to a general audience.
- Produced video, compiled a slideshow, and edited graphics to enrich stories.
- Accomplished scrupulous science journalism, enriched stories with compelling multimedia content, and optimized content for the web.
Competencies: Microsoft Word, WordPress.com, Soundslides, Adobe Photoshop, Adobe Audition, Avid NewsCutter.
Host, reporter, writer, editor
Midweek, Carleton University Winter 2012
- Independently developed original story ideas, and pursued contacts.
- Collected a portfolio of professional-quality radio news pieces.
- Efficiently recorded, wrote, and edited stories for a weekly broadcast on Carleton University’s campus radio.
- Hosted the program.
- Capably of mixed and produced professional-quality audio on a tight deadline for radio, video, and online content.
Competencies: Adobe Audition, professional microphone, and audio recorder.
Reporter, writer, director, cameraman, editor, lighting and audio technician
25th Hour, Carleton University Fall 2011
- Developed original story ideas and pursued contacts.
- Experimented with all aspects of television documentary news production, including video editing, writing, and reporting.
- Produced two documentaries and three news pieces in a four month period. Link 1, link 2.
- Remained calm, cool and collected when faced with demanding deadlines.
- Demonstrated excellent video editing skills, established myself as a tactical cameraman, and supported my team with dynamic lighting.
Competencies: Avid NewsCutter, professional video cameras.
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada 2009-present
- Served meals for medical professionals in both official languages.
- Serviced computers, projectors, and microphones for examining doctors.
- Trained new staff and delegated tasks during high-stakes exams.
Royal College of Physicians and Surgeons of Canada 2009-present
- Performed bilingual roles as a fake patient during medical doctor specialization exams.
- Memorized scenarios, scripts, and symptoms.
- Performed my roles flawlessly.